ONTAP 9.4 is now available, so that means the TRs need to get a refresh.
Here’s what I’ve done for FlexGroup in ONTAP 9.4…
New Tech Report!
First, I moved the data protection section of the best practices TR (TR-4571) into its own dedicated backup and data protection TR, which can be found here:
Why? Well, that section is going to grow larger and larger as we add more data protection and backup functionality, so it made sense to proactively create a new one.
TR-4557 got an update of mostly just what’s new in ONTAP 9.4. That TR is a technical overview, which is intended just to give information on how FlexGroups work. The new feature payload for FlexGroup volumes in ONTAP 9.4 included:
- QoS minimums and Adaptive QoS
- FPolicy and file audit
- SnapDiff support
TR-4571 is the best practices TR and got a brunt of the updates. Included in the TR (aside from details about new features), I added:
- More detailed information about high file count environments and directory structure
- More information about maxdirsize limits
- Information on effects of drive failures
- Workarounds for lack of NFSv4.x ACL support
- Member volume count considerations when dealing with small and large files
- Considerations when deleting FlexGroup volumes (and the volume recovery queue)
- Clarifications on requirements for available space in an aggregate
- System Manager support updates
Most of these updates came from feedback and questions I received. If you have something you want to see added to the TRs, let me know!