ONTAP 9.6 is now available, so that means the TRs need to get a refresh.
There are some new features in ONTAP 9.6 for FlexGroup volumes, including:
- Elastic Sizing
- MetroCluster support
- SMB CA shares
- FlexGroup rename/shrink
The TRs cover those features, and there are some updates to other areas that might not have been as clear as they could have been. I also added some new use cases.
Also, check out the newest FlexGroup episode of the Tech ONTAP Podcast:
TR Update List
Here’s the list of FlexGroup TRs that have been updated for ONTAP 9.6:
This covers backup and DR best practices/support for FlexGroup volumes.
This TR is a technical overview, which is intended just to give information on how FlexGroups work.
TR-4571-a is an abbreviated best practice guide for easy consumption.
This is the best practices TR and also offers:
- More detailed information about high file count environments and directory structure
- More information about maxdirsize limits
- Information on effects of drive failures
- Workarounds for lack of NFSv4.x ACL support
- Member volume count considerations when dealing with small and large files
- Considerations when deleting FlexGroup volumes (and the volume recovery queue)
- Clarifications on requirements for available space in an aggregate
- System Manager support updates
Most of these updates came from feedback and questions I received. If you have something you want to see added to the TRs, let me know!