9.1RC2 is now available!
That’s right – release candidate now available. If you have concerns over the “RC” designation, allow me to recap what I mentioned in a previous blog post:
RC versions have completed a rigorous set of internal NetApp tests and are are deemed ready for public consumption. Each release candidate would provide bug fixes that eventually lead up to the GA edition. Keep in mind that all release candidates are fully supported by NetApp, even if there is a GA version available. However, while RC is perfectly fine to run in production environments, GA is the recommended version of any ONTAP software release.
For a more official take on it, see the NetApp link:
What’s new in ONTAP 9.1?
At a high level, ONTAP 9.1 brings:
- Tons of brand new platforms
- NetApp FlexGroup (Generally available!) with Unified Manager and Performance Manager support!
- NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE)
- SnapMirror to AltaVault/cloud (RC2)
- 12 node SAN clusters
- Native Foreign LUN Import with AFF support (no PVR needed!)
- System Manager improvements (FlexGroup GUI, storage efficiency reporting, new cluster setup workflow)
- SAP HANA support for AFF templates
- Azure support for ONTAP cloud
- Trusted Platform Module
- 32GB FC
- SMB 3.1.1 AES-128-GCM encryption (~1.7 times faster than CCM in ONTAP 9.0!)
- 40GB Ethernet
9.1RC2 specifically brings (outside of bug fixes):
- Support for the DS460C shelves
- Official support for backup of NAS to cloud via AltaVault (SnapMirror)
- SMB support for NetApp FlexGroup volumes
For info about ONTAP 9.0, see:
ONTAP 9.0 is now generally available (GA)!
2 thoughts on “9.1RC2 is now available!”
Pingback: Introducing the NetApp FlexGroup Best Practice Guide! | Why Is The Internet Broken?
Pingback: ONTAP 9.1 is now generally available (GA)! | Why Is The Internet Broken?